Thursday, August 8, 2013

Quit Your Job, Live Your Dream


"Every blessing starts with a wish, every flower with a seed,
every heart with a dream."
{original quote}

http://www.helloawesomeshop.com/

Do you remember as a child wanting to be something great? Like a musician, artist or a ballerina? It was all you could think about! If you were like me, you already started making up songs, drawing, writing or expressing your dream in some way, right? Okay here’s my next question: do you remember when you stopped dreaming? 

As we get older, we are surrounded by responsibility and consumed by the cares of everyday life. Our dreams usually get put on the back burner until eventually they are forgotten and have rotted. In time, it becomes difficult to recall those child-like dreams. But what if I was to tell you that you still have the choice to live it out? I mean, come on, you are still alive! Why do we feel like those dreams were only fantasies and could not become real?

A few years ago in December, I was laid off from my job as a bank teller. I was so happy! Pretty nuts huh? I know it sounds strange but I knew this was my chance to have the dream job I’ve always wanted. Since eight years old, I wanted to be in a creative job. While people around me freaked out that I lost my job, I was motivated. That day, I spent hours cleaning out my home studio and starting fresh.

You see, I had spent my entire “career” in customer service, working in food and then for financial institutions. I loved the people but the work, not so much. I loved art and writing. Drawing, painting and creating stories was where my heart was at all times! That desire to create for a living never went away. I found myself in between customers doodling on the back of receipt papers, old slips and even empty Chicken McNugget boxes {which I happily emptied, of course}. My mind could not get out of my childhood dream!

Now, I have an online shop, wrote a book and run a pretty fun blog {I least I think it’s fun. Duh, it’s ‘cuz I’m fun! Right? Right…} Everything has really taken off and is able to provide us with some extra income. Though I’d like to say that I am my own boss, the reality is that my customers are my boss. It is because of them that I am able to do something that I love so much! The tools that I learned from all the years in customer service helped me establish a customer friendly business.

Today, seize every opportunity that presents itself to you to make that child-like dream a reality. You can make up excuses like I did: “I need a paycheck” or “bills are too much” OR you can turn around and say like I did:  “I know it’s not going to be easy but it will be so worth it.” Either way, we have to work. So why not try and do something that you love? There are tons of resources now for anyone wanting to work in any field. Take to Google and search for how to get started. You only have one life and it’s yours. Are you going to let the dull, boring adult “all work, no play” mindset control your heart forever? Write a plan and seek every opportunity to see it through. 

I am not suggesting to just quit your job cold turkey. That would be irresponsible. I'm trying to get your mind back to that dream, that feeling of being alive...a mindset that has been lost in a sea of stuffy people complaining and whining every day about their jobs. I know having a dream job depends on a lot of factors but ask yourself if there are a lack of resources or you have just fallen into a corporate trap...

If you think you can’t do it, you won’t. “Can’t” shouldn’t be in your dream! You have resources and the abilities to make your child-like dream come true. Say you can, make a plan and it will happen!


Linking up to:
 

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this post is amazing and I love your quote at the top. I often need the reminder to seize the opportunity and to not say can't. :-) Sometimes I even keep myself from dreaming and if I do I let the fear or failure or rejection or whatever else keep me from ever starting. This is something that I've really been working on and trying to not let that fear make decisions for me. Trust God and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were blessed by it Deanna! May the Lord guide you towards your dream job :)

      Delete

Comments from Awesome People

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips