Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Devotion: Don't Be The Nail

Guilt is a universal feeling. 

Often times I wonder if other people can see my guilt robed like a dirty garment.
I want to take it off but it feels so permanent.

This morning as I came to an end of my devotion, I skimmed through an old message I wrote about six years ago. I was new in the Lord at that time. One thing that is great about being a new believer is the child-like quality that comes with seeing things for the first time.
Jesus opened my eyes to this thing called guilt. Have you heard of it?

It can be a strong and personal battle within ourselves. Sometimes the guilt within us keeps us from doing God's plan and His work. It becomes a hindrance and a stumbling block.

Our Bible defines guilt in Romans 3:19:
"Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God."

Our dictionary defines guilt as:
"The deserving of punishment because of the violation of a law or a breach of conduct."

When we feel guilty, we tend to wish punishment on ourselves. It's okay to feel bad when you do something wrong...but it is not okay to continually wallow in guilt, robbing yourself of deliverance and joy.

Forgiving ourselves can be much harder than the forgiveness our Lord sheds. We are walking in a society where we are taught on every side that we have no value. Even as the media and the government paint false pictures of liberation, deep down God is whispering to His people "The real love you seek is not with them but with me."

"Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. 
If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? 
But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared. 
I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope."
Psalm 130:2-5

We are a stained nation. We are born already dirty.
But Jesus gives us a chance not to stay that way. He is the suds in our spirtual soap, the liquid washing away our grease filled hands.

Don't be the nail in your own crucifixion.
Because there are plenty of people in and out of your life who will be that nail.
They will break you down, beat you with words, strip away your true value and shout lies into your ears.
Stop taking their side! You have hope in Jesus and are not hopeless.

God doesn't want us to hold ourselves back from His hands.
Because the only thing between you and cleansing, is your own wall.

If anything, be the nail in your own wall.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Precious words of truth.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it spoke to you, Luella. Be blessed.

      Delete
  2. This post couldn't have come at a better time for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from Awesome People

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips