Sunday, March 17, 2013

Are Your Prayers Too Small?

"Blessed be God, which hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me."
Psalm 66:20


Then it happened. Normally I receive prayer requests about someone's sick relative or a financial blessing. Other times I don't even know what the request is. They simply ask for an unspoken, which is fine by me. The less I know, sometimes the better! God knows all the details anyways. Better Him than I.

But this time, it was a huge prayer request {whatever a "huge" request would be}. An overseas pastor is being held in prison because of his beliefs. As his family waits anxiously here in the states, this man of God is being tortured for the Lord Jesus Christ.

What?!
My first reaction is, of course, selfish:
How can I possibly pray for him? He is a man of God. This is insane...
Will the Lord even hear me?
I am way too small in this situation to make any difference.

And, as I try and talk myself out of praying for this man of God who needs hope and strength, something stirs within me. I realize how all of my daily prayers seem so small in comparison to other prayers BUT nothing is too small to bring to God.

When these moments come our way, should we just not pray because of our feeling of inadequacy?
Why do get out our mental scales and rulers, measuring and weighing the prayer request, checking to see if it fits into our capacity?

The truth is, we have nothing without God! The only reason we can pray is because He has given us a mind to think, a heart to feel and a mouth to utter words. Prayer is communication with the Master Communicator. When we try and pray within our own power, of course we will come up short. We have to be knowledgeable about the God we serve.

Am I really praying to the God of all creation, of water, Earth and sky? If so, what do I have to worry about! I need to stop measuring my prayers before bringing them to the Lord, who is bigger than all of them. He has all power and knows all things. The way He delivered Paul from prison, He can do the same for this pastor! Why not? God is in total control.

Have you stopped yourself from bringing a "big" prayer request to the Lord because you felt it was over your spiritual head?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from Awesome People

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips