Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How To Get Over Fear

 
"Taking Hold" Original Painting by Jacy 

The purpose for this post is for you to get to know who I am and how I got to this point in my life. Through my experience and insight, I pray that you will gain the strength to step out on faith and conquer your deepest desires.
Regardless if you are a believer of God or not, fear has a universal way of screwing with our minds and holding us back from doing things that we feel led to do. I for one am a believer and have been walking with the Lord for about four years now.

 "I AM HERE" Original painting by Jacy

Dec. 2nd of last year was when I was handed a pink slip from my job of two years. There were simple yet crucial mistakes found in my work and I was, poof, done. The funny part was, I wasn't nervous or scared anymore. You see, I worked for a credit union and the stress of being a teller and dealing with the members up front all day, not to mention the constant negative attitudes between co-workers (I always was the mediator! I should ask for some back pay on all the time I spent praying for these women lol Just joking Lord) it was all getting to me. Hard.

I knew I was an artist at heart. I loved it since the 3rd grade and beyond. In my fast food job years ago, I would break open chicken nugget boxes and draw when it was slow with customers. I took old receipt papers from a bank I used to work at and doodled all sorts of characters. I obsessed over it! When you are creative, it really isn't enough to just have a full time job to pay the bills. You feel incomplete. To me, creativity is God's gift for a reason and purpose, not to be wasted or dismissed. Though I had some side art jobs, I kept feeling the urge to "break out" of my little 3ftx3ft space that I was in 8 hrs out of the day.

Fear. It consumed me. It made me believe that I would never be able to live as an artist. So, I settled. So then, I was miserable and it reflected my attitude and my relationships. My husband didn't know what to do because I was never happy. I would complain and wine about work, but we both knew financially I couldn't leave it. Finally, I had it with fear. I decided that whatever it took, I was not going to be another number on the list of "dream giver-uppers!" That is the scientific term, by the way...

"The Path" Original painting by Jacy

I prayed, and prayed and prayed! I don't think I wanted anything so bad in my whole life! Except that time in middle school when I wanted a guitar from Christmas and my parents got me a down jacket instead. Wow, how disappointing! Even though I really needed it.
I asked God to change my thinking and make a way for the talent that He gave me. I mean, if He blessed me to be an artist then I knew that someday I would be! Makes so much sense and yet fear tells you that it is not true.

Here are the lies that Fear will try and get you to believe:

~ You will never be successful.
~ You won't stand out. Too many people do that already
~ You don't have what it takes or the resources
~ Nothing in your life will get any better than what you have
~ You deserve to settle
~ You are not good enough
~ No one will ever like your work, it is too different
~ No one wants to listen to what you say
~ You want something you can't have. Deal with it!
~ Your family and friends will never support you
~ You have nothing to offer this world

I am here to tell you don't believe any of those! Here is what your response needs to be:

~ I can and will be successful
~ I will stand out. I am an individual and was created original
~ I  have what it takes and the resources will follow
~ I am blessed with what I have but I know there is more
~ I don't have to settle
~ I am good enough
~ I am different and people will like my work because of that
~ I have a voice and as long as my heart is in the right place, people will listen
~ If I can love and I can dream, I can do anything
~ My family and friends love and support me no matter what
~ I have something to offer this world

Less than a month after I was laid off, I received some information about a woman opening up an exclusive handmade shop 15 minutes away from my home! She opened the shop Feb 1st, the day before my anniversary of being laid off for 2 months. Only 2 months and I scored a rental spot for my art in a handmade shop, brand new shop, right on a busy main street! Don't believe that you are not good enough. In fact, know that you are good enough! Tell yourself that you are validated, that you have what it takes because you were made for this.

Part One of "Breathe" Original Painting by Jacy

I am going to leave you with a couple of inspirational quotes and scriptures, but know this: Fear only has power of you let it. That's right. If you allow it into your heart and mind, then it can grow but if you learn to dismiss Fear early and speak positive, it has no work in your life! <3

"To dream of the person you want to be is to waste the person that you are" - unknown

"Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luk 12:32  

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -unknown

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - unknown

"All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others." - unknown

"Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known." Matthew 10:26

"Trust in the Lord, with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding; in all ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

2 comments:

  1. New follower from UEF :)

    Great inspirational story and beautiful quotes!

    -Tiffany with Will Write 4 Food

    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments from Awesome People

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips