Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 9: Repentance {31 Devotions in 31 Days}


"Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations."
Ezekiel 14:6

I'm not going to lie: it doesn't feel good when we look into our own hearts and see the impurity. Usually after we justify our emotions, we fall into deception thinking we are okay with God when in fact we are not. We ignore what the reality is because, well, the truth hurts sometimes. We don't like to get hurt.

However if we are willing to change and break free from emotional bondage, there is a crucial step we must take that is probably harder than any other step. That is repentance. Society, both in secular and nonsecular circles, have morphed the meaning of repentance. It has been watered down and cushioned to avoid being too controversial or too judgmental.

The fact is, repentance is a tool in the hand of our Creator. It is not used as a staff to harshly discipline us but rather a push towards the right direction. Repentance is more than a "I'm sorry" but is a complete turning away from our sin and into the lovely open arms of the Lord. It is not a form of criticism from God, pointing His finger at you and your mistakes. Repentance allows us to fully commit and submit to the Lord, making the decision to turn away from those unhealthy emotions with godly fear.

In Matthew 23:25-27, Jesus says:
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness."

We shouldn't want to just feel beautiful on the outside but most importantly on the inside. When we have sinned emotionally and don't repent, within we are unclean and of dead men's bones. Through the blood of Jesus Christ, we have life and freedom but we are as good as dead without repentance. The power of the blood is to wash and make clean. To give us a new life in Christ. 

"Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."
Psalm 51:7-10

In order to achieve true repentance, we must have a desire to reconcile with God. To make things right with Him. Once we have reconciled and have allowed God to change our hearts, we must vow never to go back to the sin we has committed. Repentance is a process. Only the Lord is perfect but every time we fall, we need to get back up and plant our feet firmly on the right path once again.

Reflection:
Think about the emotions that make your heart heavy. Is it because you have not repented of a certain sin? Are you holding on because you fear the unknown or the sin is just too comfortable? We all have at least one sin we just can't let go of. Now is the time to let go and be set free!

Action:
Ask the Lord to reveal to your heart the sins that you need to repent of. Write them down on a piece of paper and pray over them, asking God to forgive you and to grant you wisdom when confronted with these sins. Keep your mind on holy things (Philippians 4:8) which will deter you away from unholy emotions. 

Prayer:
Lord, thank You for Your Word and the promises You've made. Thank You for the blood that washes us and cleanses us, breathing new life into our entire being. I pray that my desire to reconcile with You will grow and that I may have the wisdom to approach the throne even when my flesh is pulling me the other way. Help me to be discerning within my relationships, that I do not hinder others as they seek You and that I do not entertain ungodly emotions. I pray that I can fully turn away from my sin, so that You can be glorified in my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Are you trying to hide a sin from God?
Are you stuck in justification mode and not repentance mode?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from Awesome People

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips