Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spotlight Saturday: Etsy Artist Emma Bazan {Bella + Bunny}


How do I speak after the photo above? Gorgeous!! right? I love, love, love (did I mention love?) coming across Etsy shops that ooze creativity, uniqueness and just plain talent. I was so blown away by the shop Bella + Bunny that I HAD to feature it's beautiful creations! Not only that, I wanted to feature the imaginative mind behind it...everyone, meet Emma Bazan
She was so super-sweet enough to answer my interview questions, to give us a more personal insight into her art + world:
 
1.) Can you tell me a little about yourself?
Hi, I’m Emma, I’m a born and raised New Yorker, currently living  in Brooklyn with my high school sweetheart, my orange cat Bella, and my pretty little bunny. Besides painting and illustrating, I also work in the beauty/fashion industry as a makeup artist.
2.) When did you start creating art?
I started creating art at a really young age. There has never been a time that I can remember not creating art. You would always find me coloring, drawing, and painting. It was one thing that made me very happy, and kept me busy for hours. It still does. 
3.) How do you describe your style?
I would say it’s richly hued, whimsical, sweet, romantic, organic, and feminine.  
4.) What does handmade mean to you?
Something that was produced with good loving energy. It’s nice to know that a piece was made by someone who took time, care, and pride, to produce something very special.
I like knowing that each piece is unique, and it will never be the same from the last piece made.
 
5.) Where or who do you get your inspiration from?
I think I’m inspired by everything around me. Other artists, present and past; whether those artists are painters, illustrators, photographers, or sculptors, etc. Colors, shapes, and textures found in nature. Interesting shadows that certain objects make. The emotions I get from sounds, visuals, and stories. These things really inspire my imagination to take off and create wonderful things.
6.) What do you like to do when NOT creating?
When I’m not creating, I love to cook. It allows me to get out of my head, and relax a bit.  I also like to explore my neighborhood, it’s become a little ever-changing city inside New York City.
7.) What's the best part about running your own shop?
The freedom to create whatever it is that I want, and on my own schedule. 
8.) What's do you like about about selling on Etsy?
What I like about Etsy, is that it’s a good starting place to sell and get your work noticed. You won’t go broke starting a shop, the blogs and online labs are incredibly helpful and encouraging, and there is a great sense of community on there with potential to meet and collaborate with other sellers/artists.
9.) Any advice you'd like to give other artists/shop owners?
I’m still a relatively new shop owner, and I’ve got a lot to learn. I think the most important thing I’ve learned is to be patient and believe in your work. To some, being on Etsy is just a hobby, that doesn’t mean it can’t be something more important, like the beginning of your career.
10.) Where do you see yourself/your art in 10 years?
It’s only been about a year that I’ve made my work available to everyone, and in that year I feel like I’ve had so many different ideas/directions that I’d like to try. At some point I want to see my work on other media -  jewelry and ceramics were some of the things I’ve been looking into. The thing is I may decide in a matter of minutes that that isn’t the direction I want to go. So really, I suppose I’m open to chance for the future of my work... In any case, I’m pretty sure I want to be painting in a garden instead of my living room/studio.

So awesome!! Thanks so much Emma, you are truly gifted.
Don't forget to visit Emma's shop Bella + Bunny to view more amazing creations! Take a moment to like her Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/bellaandbunny
and follow Emma on Twitter@BellaAndBunny 
If you'd like to be in the spotlight, please email me artbyjacy@yahoo.com / Subject line: Spotlight
*Note: My blog is family friendly, so I filter everything before I decide if it gets posted. Thank you!*

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, I am going to find her shop rite now! Thanks for sharing, lovely post.

    Mo

    mokekumileicreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime Mo! Show her some love, she deserves it :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from Awesome People

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips